June 24, 2011

Pssst. It's me, Nils.

Nils. Shhhh.
Keith doesn't know I'm posting this and you mustn't tell him. It's me, Nils, Keith's assistant, writing. You must keep this a secret! If Keith ever found out I was posting on his blog without his permission . . . well, I don't know what he'd do. But I know readers have my back. Have I told you you're sweet lately? Okay, here's the scoop.

Keith and I have a very close relationship. We're not lovers but we are boon companions -- two fellows who were meant to go through life together. There are absolutely no secrets between us. Well, okay, this post is one. But that's it. I swear! What I'm trying to say here is that I know what's in Keith's heart, and he knows what's in mine.

So here's what's going on. Keith is trying to be a stalwart fellow but the news is getting him down. Nothing positive ever happens and we slip more deeply into the lurch every day. It takes a lot out of a man who cares as much as he does. The thing that sent him over the edge was the terrible news that emerged last week about the world's oceans. Here's an excerpt from one story:
By some estimates, all of the planet’s corals could disappear by century’s end if present trends continue. The continued uptake of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere will cause these areas to expand until only a sliver of the ocean’s surface layer remains inhabitable.
A report issued last week by the International Program on the State of the Ocean contained dire predictions:
"[W]e are “at high risk for entering a phase of extinction of marine species unprecedented in human history,” notes the report written by a global panel of experts. In what is the report’s most stark and shocking suggestion, scientists say that the unprecedented loss of species could be directly comparable to the five great mass extinctions of prehistory. Indeed, the panel of 27 scientists say that a “combination of stressors is creating the conditions associated with every previous major extinction of species in Earth’s history.”
This alarming report about the state of our oceans upset Keith so much that he can hardly blog. Just a post or two a day, if that. And of course, the fact that no one is talking about this, that it has been completely "disappeared" by the corporate-run news networks, only makes matters worse. See, Keith understands that if the ocean goes, we will soon follow. And no one is even talking about it. Defensive indifference yet again. No one cares. He told me it made him so sad, he couldn't even write a post about it. So I jumped in. (Plus, Keith is still recovering from the Miss USA/evolution kerfuffle.)

So if he blogs a bit less in the coming days, let him slide. And for heaven's sake, don't tell him I'm posting on his blog! Who knows what he would do? (He's very tall.) Well, that's it from me. Take care in these dangerous times, bloggy persons, and don't let the corporate greedheads eat you. Oh, and remember to be kind to every creature you meet. -- Nils

No comments: