July 27, 2011

Obituaries

I think it's weird when old people die and the obituary notice in the paper shows a photo of the person when he or she was young. What's that about? That's a photo of who they used to be, not who they were when they died. Are people vain even after death? You're dead; you don't have to be afraid of your wrinkles anymore. Enjoy.

This occurred to me while reading the obits in my local paper today. I was also greatly amused to learn that you can submit your town's name to receive all the obits from that area via email -- or you can specify names! I think that's wild. You can pump in the names of everyone you know (or better yet, everyone you hate) and be notified by email when they die. What a convenience!

1 comment:

Anna Guess Pick said...

That's funny you should write that, I've thought about that myself. Last night my daughter sent me a copy of an obituary about our next door neighbor from when she was a little girl. I shall call her Helen and she was a true Tiger-mom, her parents were emigrants from China. Anyway Helen was a really neat lady and we had just been talking out her. The next day my daughter gets this obit notice that she had died about a week ago of brain cancer. The photo they used in the notice was one taken of her while she was undergoing treatment and she was beautiful, that same wonderful semi-hidden smile she always wore. The kids wrote a very jubilant obituary for her which made us smile... or knowing Helen maybe she wrote it herself and had it tucked away.