February 5, 2013

My new game

You're standing in front of the microwave, waiting for that last 30 or 45 seconds to expire. Inside, you feel like Homer Simpson and it's all you can do not to scream, "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" at the thing. Having done this a few times, I thought there had to be a better way. So I invented a game.

I look at the timer. It might say five minutes, it might say 35 seconds -- whatever it is, the game is on! My goal is to find something I can fully accomplish in that small allotment of time. Turns out, it's a fun game.

I've learned that I can make the bed in less than three minutes, and can set up a new pot of coffee in a minute and 30 seconds. I might look at a pile of dishes, glance at the clock, and then dive in mightily, doing the dishes in less than 45 seconds. It's fun!

So the next time you find yourself staring at an unforgiving microwave, see what you can accomplish in that amount of time. I'm tellin' ya. This could become an exciting "reality" TV show. (It's gotta be better than American Idol, no? Okay, that's setting the bar too low. But try it!)

No comments: