February 8, 2013

Baseball note

I watched one game of the Caribbean world series of baseball the other night. It was between Mexico and the Dominican Republic. It was enjoyable, especially because I knew a lot of the players.

At first, two Spanish-speaking announcers opened the show, speaking alternately in English and Spanish. I enjoyed hearing the Spanish and trying to figure out what they were saying. Then, darn it, they replaced these guys with two others. One was a typical white American guy and the other was Latino.

At one point, the American announcer asked the Latino guy what words they use to scream "Home Run!" in Spanish. The guy rattled off a few Spanish expressions and the Anglo guy asked what they meant. I laughed when one of the expressions was translated as "Out to the street!" What can I say? It's cute.

No comments: