May 10, 2011

Area man having emotional baseball season

Through thick and thin, baby.
It's hard sometimes, being a baseball fan. You head into each season feeling fresh and new and you just know this will be the year for your team(s). And then the season opens and reality intrudes.

My teams (they are legion) are a total bust this year. See those team names at the bottoms of the divisional rankings? Yup, my guys. So what's a fella to do? Actually, it's not too much of a problem -- because I like baseball.

See, that's the thing. I enjoy watching baseball. There are always a few good teams that are a pleasure to watch. There have been tense, well-played, well-pitched games this year -- even some no-hitters. And there have been some amazingly athletic moments on the field. Sam Fuld provided quite a few of those moments in the Rays outfield (and he rose from the ashes of Manny Ramirez, which is kind of cool). I've never seen anyone make catches like Fuld.

So how could I possibly complain? Okay, I could but let's keep a positive attitude here. So my guys aren't winning. So what? I wish they were and that's the truth -- but it's baseball season. And that's a very, very good thing.

4 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Baseball serves as a great lesson is learning you can't always get what you want. Little teasers,like one on base, then two, ah the bases loaded, no outs..."pass the nachos please, this is going to be great".

OK, batter is a little over eager, chalk it up to inexperience - batter strikes out. OK, here we go, nice, nice.......dang short pop up - out two no chance to score. Sigh, out three with three men left on base.

"pass the nachos, please, this is going to be a long night".

writenow said...

Last night was one of those long nights. My guys lost in every game. Yours too, I see.

Sigh. But we love it, right? Just checking.

Anna Guess Pick said...

Yes, still love it....cause winning feels so good...and it will happen!

writenow said...

Actually, I fell asleep on the Mets game last night and just found out they won. One win among many losses -- I'll take it!