January 6, 2015

I want a dog




Lately I've had a powerful urge to get a dog. So far, I haven't acted on it. But I'm close.

If I do get a dog, will I still be happy about this decision when it's raining or snowing and the dog is looking up at me with those "gotta go" eyes? Seriously, they can't use indoor bathrooms -- some kind of genetic defect, or something. Will I happily tend to this dog's needs?

Of course I'll take good care of the dog, if I get one. I love all animals (and birds and fish and bugs and pretty much everything else; I even like wasps) so there's no way I'd let it suffer in any way. But will I resent having to make this effort? That's what worries me.

Right now, I'm pleased with my outdoor pets. Every day, I feed four crows, six squirrels, about a dozen blue jays, and two groundhogs. So okay, the ground hogs are hibernating right now. But I'm still handing out peanuts to the other guys. I just stick my head out and call, "Crow!!!" and they all come. It's like a Disney movie, very zippity doo dah.

I enjoy this, but is it enough? I like the idea of snuggling with a smallish dog in the evenings, preferably with the creature on my lap. That sounds so warm. And since we're in the middle of a cold spell, this seems appealing.

To adopt or not to adopt. That is the question. I guess I'll just fret about it some more. Don't worry, I'll share my decision when I make it. Until then, here's a relevant song. It's one of my favorites.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I am thinking about getting a pet as well, but it will be a cat. I am just not responsible enough to take on the care of a dog.

The cat already has a name, Mr. Darby, now I just need to go find him.

Cheers to our shared parenthood in 2015.

writenow said...

A cheshire, I hope. I've had cats and once had a dog. I must say, the dog made me happier. I'm also considering a bird. Once I move to a house that isn't freezing all the time, perhaps I'll get a cockatiel. They're so much fun. Thanks for the comments, Annie. Always brightens my day.