January 13, 2015

Hermit in the dark

That's me: the hermit in the dark. I detest light.

During the day, I shield the windows with dark curtains. No light may enter my domain. At night, the blessed darkness envelops me. I hardly have any lights in my house, though I do have a few nightlights. In other words, there's no way to turn a real light on because I don't own one.

So when my cleaning lady said she couldn't come at 8 am yesterday - her usual time - but could come by at 5 pm, I said "No way, it's too dark in here at night. You'll never be able to clean." She said, "No problem, leave it to me."

She arrived at 5 pm wearing a miner's headlamp, the band you put around your head to position a light that essentially beams from your forehead. Without prelude, she proceeded to clean in the dark. It made me laugh whenever I looked her way.

And this morning, everything is wildly clean. She did it! I think she deserves the House Cleaner of the Year Award. Whatever, I just thought I'd share a page from my life.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

That is so funny. Next time make a short video, what a hoot. Gotta love that gal.

writenow said...

Newsflash for readers who don't know this: my cleaning lady is my good friend, Gloria, who served as the inspiration for Glory in the book "Xmas Carol". She has the kindest heart of anyone I've ever met. Glad you liked the image, Annie.