December 14, 2012

To "get off the stick"

I found myself searching for the origin of a phrase today. All my life I've heard people say, "Get off the stick". It means get going, or stop making excuses and do it. The meaning has always been clear.

But when I searched for the phrase, I found nothing. For one thing, people seemed to think the phrase was "get on the stick". I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. Some folks suggested it had to do with gears and planes, but no one really knew where it originated.

Which of these phrases do you hear in your area? And is your understanding the same as mine? (Oddly, the reverse saying -- "get on the stick" -- means the same thing: get going.) Anyone know where this comes from? I'm always interested in phrase origins.

I checked my two dictionaries of phrase origins, too. Nope. And after writing this post, I wonder if people who say "get off the stick" are committing a common error. They're aiming at "get on the stick" but they're echoing "get off the pot". Hmmm. Words. I love 'em.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I also love words and I translate books from English into Romanian. Now...Private by James Patterson...where I found this idiom (Chapter 50)...and some meanings from Google: stop resting on the shovel handle or spear and get to work, but I think your "get going" is better.
I have also found this...http://www.word-detective.com/2010/11/on-the-stick-to-get/
Have a nice day!

writenow said...

Thanks for your comment. I think one of the loveliest translations is the English version of the German book, "Perfume: the story of a murderer". Fun profession you've got there.

Anonymous said...

Das Parfum was translated into 47 languages, so you are right...Look, a book translated by me and my son (Iordana Ferent & Stefan Ferent)...Elephants Can Remember by Agatha Christie...Nice to find you!...http://www.infocarte.ro/elefantii-nu-uita-niciodata-carte-detalii-20417

writenow said...

Very nice! I imagine you love your work. I would, too. Then again, I'm a writer and I love that the most.

rocky said...

Is the idiom "get off the stick"? Or " get ON the stick"? Also... are both acceptable depending on area you are in?

writenow said...

Hi Rocky. Not sure what area of the country you're from. I'm in NY and I think people say it both ways here, and mean the same thing. It's kind of weird, when you think about it. Get on/get off. So different and yet they're used in the same way. Thanks for commenting. Lifts my day.