December 12, 2012

From Tristero? Can't be.

I was surprised to see Tristero's post at Hullabaloo this morning. It uses outmoded, misleading terminology.
Not saying that there isn't a heritable component to sexual preference and gender identity, just saying that the way this is reported sounds way too schematic to be believable.
Sexual preference? C'mon, he really didn't say that, right? The only acceptable (and accurate) terminology is sexual orientation. The term "sexual preference" makes it sound like we stayed up late one night and decided to go gay.

However, I hedge my criticism. He may be echoing the terminology used in the strange report that he's knocking. Mind you, that's no excuse. Preference indeed! Bah, humbug!

Note: It seems impossible to link to an individual post on Digby's blog. Same with Joe.My.God. If anyone can tell me how to get around this, I'd love to learn the trick.

No comments: