August 6, 2013

The scope of the coming apocalypse

An abrupt halt to fossil fuel use at current levels would limit the period of future climate instability to less than 1,000 years before climate largely returns to pre-industrial norms. But, if fossil fuel use stays on its current trajectory until the end of this century, then the climate effects begin to resemble those of the PETM, with major ecological changes lasting for 20,000 years or more and a recognizable human "fingerprint" on Earth's climate lasting for 100,000 years.
The article has one semi-bright note. It suggests that 56 million years ago, in the PETM (which stands for Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum), life in the oceans was hit hard -- but there were few extinctions on land. First time I ever heard that. So maybe we'll live while the ocean dies off. In other words, the ocean's food web will be the first to collapse.

To be clear, this is no reason to get happy. The sea plays a huge role in our food web. I wish people cared enough to do something about this. If the climate could restore itself within 1,000 years, as suggested in the article, humans might actually survive in the long run. But we'll never get it together. Humans are lemmings. Sorry to be so negative, but you know how we are. Anyone know where I can get some good donuts?

7 comments:

cm said...

Peter Pan donut shop in Greenpoint Brooklyn. Best. Donuts. Ever.

Anna Guess Pick said...

I always believed that the oceans would be our refuge. It is a disturbing thought to think we could get on without them. I don't think we can, when the seas go the earth will follow.

Donuts? Just a week ago I made those new trendy things called "Cronuts" a cross between Croissants and Donuts. I suppose next time I could FedEx a batch to you. ;-)

writenow said...

How can you say such a thing without telling us how your cronuts turned out? Were they good? They look delicious.

Anna Guess Pick said...

They were good, interesting. Now I want to make them with a filling. I will take pics next time. This was a second batch. The first were too thick and not cooked fully, this time that problem was solved. I have learned how to layer the butter and the dough through the four rises (? risings?) They are definitely a cross between the two entities. Layered like a croissant but shaped and cooked like a donut.

writenow said...

Dog! You have to email me one. I'm jealous.

Anna Guess Pick said...

Errrr, I thought we were talking apocalypse here. LOL (sorry K.)....didn't know donuts were so popular.

writenow said...

We did stray off-topic, didn't we? And hi,. Carmine.