May 16, 2013

Why I'm an atheist

God.
Don't get excited. The truth is I don't have much to say on this topic. I'm an atheist because the concept of gods is absurd. It has never seemed even slightly appealing or real to me, though I was raised in a Roman Catholic household.

The rest of my nuclear family believes in the nonsense. So do most of the people who live on this planet. I'm shocked that this is the case, but it is what it is. People believe in nonsense that a little child should be able to poke holes through. And they bully and kill in the name of their fairytale "god". Could anything be more reprehensible? To kill for a nonexistent being -- there's really no behavior worse than that. And yet it's going on all around the world.

How could there be a god that created Earth "for" humanity, when there are childhood diseases that disfigure, cause pain and even kill? How? They talk about an all-good, loving god. Get real, folks. If your god is real, he is a psychopathic monster. Progeria, anyone?

So there was no moment when I turned my back on religion. Even when I was six years old, religion seemed a highly suspect enterprise. As far as I could tell, it was just a bunch of old men telling fairytales. That everyone can't see this is shocking to me. Logic, people. Think for a moment. (Oh, I forgot. You're not allowed to think. Never mind.)

There has never been a scintilla of evidence to support the idea that there is a god. Nothing. And everything around us, the very universe itself as revealed through science, assures us that reality came into existence without the help of a sky god.

And that's it, really. There is no need for a god. The idea doesn't make sense and it creates a race of slaves who don't value their lives (or ours, or our planet) because they believe the important stuff will happen after they die.

Duh. How can anyone believe in gods?

No comments: