July 14, 2012

Painting stuff away

Gone.
I was amused to see this today:
An artist has removed a halo from a mural of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno amid the school's child sex-abuse scandal.
I can't say for sure but I think I sense a game here. What aspect of American culture would you like to paint out of the picture? Unfortunately, I can't think of one where I don't also want to paint something in. For instance:
Susan G. Komen for the Cure Misogyny.
(The concept also reminds me that I'd like to airbrush Bush's crotch out of all the photos of that carrier-landing moment. Oy, that was a presidency. I've still got the headache.)

But I'm not really getting into the spirit of the thing. I'm reaching but missing. It's not like my suggestions have the impact of painting over a halo. (I just can't get over that: painting away a halo. It's priceless!) Someone out there on the Intertubes -- who isn't brain-dead from the heatwave, like me -- will have to come up with a suggestion that's like painting over a halo. G'wan. (I just know there's low-hanging fruit out there but truly, I can't see it. Tell me, tell me!)

No comments: