January 20, 2011

Chihuly Fire and Light

Wow! Did you see the show about Dale Chihuly on PBS last night? (My post title is the title of the show.) I'd never even heard of the fellow. He and his staff blow glass and create the most beautiful, organic, colorful structures you've ever seen. I was startled by his work. That's one of his pieces on the left. Gorgeous, no? He actually blows the parts and then assembles these mighty structures by hand, bit by bit.

The show was wonderful and the glass structures are nothing short of cosmic. I can't believe I've never heard of the guy before last night. The show is still floating around PBS schedules right now. If you haven't seen it, check your local listings. It's very, very cool.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I have seen it, or if not this one, another one. A few years ago some of Chihuly works were on display at our Missouri Botanical Gardens, they are really quite amazing.

I remember seeing the works he created in Venice, was that part of this "Fire and Light" show? Work a re-watch for sure.

writenow said...

Not Venice. He brought a huge show to San Francisco, and there's something about Portland or another city in the northwest. This morning, I programmed my sister's DVR to catch it. The images are still haunting me.