January 6, 2011

Astronomy Picture of the Day

The killer photo on the left is from the Astronomy Picture of the Day web site. They have incredible photos every day. Typically, they show galaxies and stars but on occasion they mix it up with photos like this. Need I say they make fabulous desktop images? Very cool site.

This photo shows an observatory in the Swiss Alps. Before posting the image, I had to shrink it down from the humongous original. They give you high-res pix most days, which is also very cool. 


This one inspired me. I literally wrote this observatory into one of my books. One day I hope you'll read it and say, "Oh, yeah. I remember this!" 

Seriously, doesn't this observatory look like the ultimate workplace? And you should see how nicely I decorated the inside. Very tasteful. 

So g'wan, check out their daily offerings. Here's the link again: Astronomy Picture of the Day.

2 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Yeah, that's awfully pretty. I would have made it my desktop photo if it would have blown up.

Quite a stache you've got there. I've had mine for at least 40 years but never to such proportions.

writenow said...

If you email me (theworlds@optonline.net), I'll send you a big version of the photo. I hope AP of the Day doesn't get mad at me, but it's not easy to find a photo they posted years ago on their site. They do have archives that you can scour, though. There was another great one about three weeks ago. Meteor showers above a Spanish fort from about 1200. Very cool.