September 14, 2012

I'd starve in today's schools

So they're pushing "healthy" lunches on kids. The problem with this is that someone else gets to decide what's healthy. I do not agree that a plate full of mulch is a good thing. To put it succinctly, I don't eat fruit and I hardly eat vegetables. All you have to do is take a vitamin and drink psyllium husks. There's no need for this kind of "food". (I don't consider fruit and vegetables to be food.)
Mohonasen students selecting pizza sticks this week also had to choose something from the lunch line's cornucopia of apples, bananas, fresh spinach and grape tomatoes, under the standards.
Whatever. I'd toss everything but the pizza sticks in the garbage. And it seems I'm not alone in this sentiment.
Kim Gagnon, food service director in the Mohonasen district, said while students generally have been receptive to the fruits and vegetables, "we have noticed that kids are throwing it out or giving it to friends, leaving it on counters..."
Right on, kids. Toss that stuff. Food is fish, meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, beans, macaroni, milk and bread. The other stuff is fake and won't make your body happy. I'll end with a comment from the real world:
"The fruits and vegetables are good at first but once they wear off, I get hungry," she said. "It's just not enough to get me through the day."

No comments: