June 21, 2014

This and that

I wish there was a "vegetarian" button I could press on my TV. If this was set up, I wouldn't have to see dead animals on my screen during commercials. Some call it food but I call it murder preceded by imprisonment and torture. Why do I have to gaze at dead animal parts as I watch my shows and baseball games? It's sickening.

Next item. Read this:
When he was president, George W. Bush hosted a White House reunion for his former Yale classmates, including a transgender woman who had lived as a man when Bush knew her. Another guest told reporters that the president grabbed the classmate's hand and exclaimed fondly, "Now you've come back at yourself." (I assume they meant "as yourself".) 
That's the thing about Georgie: he wasn't the worst human who ever lived. He even had some good impulses. But he was the weakest, dumbest president in recent memory and he allowed abominable people to control his actions. He was an idiot, rather than a monster.

Moving right along, let's discuss a certain phrase. You hear people use it all the time. The phrase is "oddly enough", as in "oddly enough, I saw your mother having sex with a police officer this morning." Oddly enough? What's with the "enough"? Is there a level of oddness you must rise to before someone can say, "Ah, there you go: that's enough oddness"? It just seems strange. A simple "oddly" would work just as well. I say we kick "enough" out of the word tent.

And while we're on the topic of words, why do was refer to a "wooden table" rather than a "wood table"? After all, we don't say a metallen table, we say "metal table". The only other word like this, that I can think of at the moment, is "leaden". He always showed a leaden face. Odd (but oddly enough?).

And last but not least, it surprises me that no one has created spreebay.com -- for folks who really want to toss a lot of money out the window. I'm sure it would be a hit with the current batch of Americans.

You may carry on with your weekend now. As you were.

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

OMD, (and I know how you love those lettered responses) you are back in rare form. I love this post. And I love you for writing it..... your brain is priceless...I can't get "enough" of you.

Moving on with my weekend..........

writenow said...

I would have to rate that as a positive comment. Thanks.