June 8, 2014

New respect for people with asthma

I just experienced a very bad week. I couldn't breathe. By this I don't mean that I had difficulty breathing. I mean I couldn't breathe. I swear, if I didn't have the right medicine at hand, I don't know what would have happened. It was like there was no room in my lungs for air. The space was already occupied.

I still have no clue why this happened to me. I got one of those "maybe it's a severe allergic reaction, maybe your immune system is attacking your lungs, maybe..." responses from doctors (I saw two). That's kinda creepy because if something triggered it, I can't avoid it since I don't know what it is.

In any case, this leads me to say two things. First, let's hear it for nebulizers! Hooray!!! They're those machines with a long tube, and a contraption that you put in your mouth, which seems to dribble smoke (it's vapor) as you suck on it. What a fabulous machine this is! I will never be without one again.

The second thing is I think I understand now how frightening asthma (and other respiratory distress) can be. For me, this was just one week out of an otherwise free-breathing life. But for those with chronic difficulty breathing, this problem goes on and on. I empathize with anyone who suffers like this, especially children. It's a nightmare.

Anyway, it seems to be over and I should return to regular blogging in the days ahead. Phew. Let's hear it for air: hooray!!!

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Nice to have you back, breathing and blogging. Stay that way.

writenow said...

Thanks, Annie. I'll do my best to remain this way. Will it be enough? Only the sky gods can say for sure (haha).