June 1, 2014

Frank Bruni's take on today's journalism

Today's NYT column by Frank Bruni is called "Full Screed Ahead". Here's an excerpt:
Grandstanding is booming as traditional news gathering struggles to survive: It’s more easily summoned, more cheaply produced. It doesn’t require opening bureaus around the country or picking up correspondents’ travel expenses or paying them for weeks on end just to dig. So it fills publications, websites and television airtime the way noodles stretch out a casserole, until we’re looking at a media meal that’s almost all Hamburger Helper and no beef.
I often try to provide a Bruni link on Sundays since it lies behind the Times paywall (which you hit if you visit the NYT "too often"). Links from blogs will always get through. So what are you waiting for? Grab a cuppa coffee and go read it.

3 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

Anna Guess Pick said...

And a P.S. ~ I really enjoy Bruni, I like his writings and I listen to his opinions. And I am glad you help to share him with our world.

writenow said...

That is so true. PS: I think readers can always click on op-eds and view them. I'd forgotten. But I'll still provide links to Bruni. He's got a new one today about what's out there beyond Hillary. He seems like such a smart, original guy. I'd love to meet him.