February 9, 2011

A "proper burial"

I don't see anything proper about sticking dead people in the ground. They're dead meat -- so we bury them? How does this make sense? I don't want my dead body to be wasted, rotting under the ground in a box. I'd rather something ate me -- you know, to spread the good around. I may as well be useful once I'm dead. That's how I look at it.

There are other options these days. Apparently, there's been an big uptick in the number of people who choose to be "buried" at sea. If its is an actual body rather than "cremains", they tie a weight to the body and drop it into the water many miles out at sea. I imagine some nice fishies would enjoy a tasty snack like that. And water is so restful, don't you think?

What I'd really like is for someone to toss my body in the woods so creatures passing by could eat me. And part of me could simply rot into the soil. That sounds delightful.

I don't get "proper" burials. Plus, they waste so much real estate. And for what? Graveyards are useless. We should destroy dead bodies in a way that benefits the local environment, or we should make fuel out of them, or something. Surely this is what will happen in the long run. If not, we'll soon have to build our houses and offices on scaffolding so as not to disturb all the dumb graves below. Seriously, I don't get it.

3 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I used to sit on the Board of this historic pioneer cemetery:

History of Savannah Memorial Park (aka El Monte Cemetery)

* In about 1846 Henry Dalton, owner of Rancho San Francisquito, found two graves on his property that were protected by a cactus hedge. He set aside two acres surrounding the graves for a cemetery. The location of the cemetery was desirable because the water table in other nearby areas was too high for burial purposes.

* Savannah Memorial Park is possibly the oldest protestant cemetery in Southern California and has been in continuous operation since its founding in 1850.

* Savannah Memorial Park served El Monte, the first American settlement in Southern California (California Landmark No. 975) and the end of the Santa Fe Trail, as well as surrounding areas.


Savannah Memorial Park Today

* Savannah Memorial Park is still in operation today under the care and ownership of the El Monte Cemetery Association which was incorporated in 1920 for the purpose of maintaining and improving Savannah Memorial Park.

* Savannah Memorial Park encompasses an area of slightly over four acres in size and there are more than 3,700 documented burials.

* The remains of many of the original pioneers of the area are protected here.

* Savannah Memorial Park has always been available to all nationalities and ethnicities.

But you are right they take up precious real estate, which really wasn't the case back in 1846. Almost all of my relatives on my fathers side of the family are buried there. So I work to see that what is there is kept in good condition. Another fifty years and probably no one will give a damn.

The trend is certainly going toward cremations - that what I intend to do - the kids can do whatever they want with the ashes. I suggested the nearest trash can, but if they really didn't like that idea they can charter a sailboat in Maui, have a heck of a party on-board and dump my ashes in the Maui Channel. And that's my view on the subject.

[ps - ink and paper have been shipped ;)]

writenow said...

[ps - ink and paper have been shipped ;)]

How exciting! I know you'll tell me how the purchases work out.

PS on the other thing: I don't go to funerals either. The people are dead. Having gatherings in someone's name is fine, but corpse-a-thons? Yuck. I don't eat meat or like to hang out with it.

writenow said...

PPS: Your own funeral idea sounds fine to me. If you're cremated, there are no problems. I think it's way selfish to do anything else (except let something eat you, which is kind).
K