February 23, 2011

Espresso has less caffeine than regular coffee?

I don't see how espresso can be said to have less caffeine than regular coffee. Yet that's what it says on my bag of Aroma coffee.

I adore espresso coffee and for many years, I was perfectly happy with various (mostly Latino) brands. But then, as one, they lost their taste. El Pico, Bustelo, Cafe Caribe, Pilon and other espresso coffee brands now taste like brewed cardboard. This was a major bummer. I began to buy brand after brand, looking for something that tasted like espresso. I was very happy to find this brand -- Aroma -- at a local store. It's terrific and it revs you up to 300 mph with just one cup.

But it says the strangest thing on the package. Here's the copy:

"Espresso is regular coffee roasted darker and has less caffeine."

Indeed. Is that why I feel like I just shot speed after having a cup? This effect is due to the low level of caffeine? Anyway, isn't this a ridiculous statement? Espresso is what you use to wake yourself up after eating a ridiculously large meal. It's Caffeine City, and always has been.

I'm at a loss on this one. Any suggestions, opinions, jokes?

2 comments:

Anna Guess Pick said...

I'm not a good one to ask about this, as I can have a cup of coffee and pop off to sleep like it was a cup of warm milk.

My only memory of "jitters" was years and years ago when I probably consumed a pot of coffee by 10 a.m. every day. Now I have a cup or a cup and a half in the morning and maybe one more later in the afternoon or evening.

This I do note - even the best of coffees after a while have a dip in flavor when consumed day after day. It's nice to mix them up after a bit.

writenow said...

You're probably right. My sister picked up about ten brands for me to sample, and it was fun. That's how I discovered Aroma, my current favorite. I don't think I mentioned the weirdest part. It's only 1.99 a bag, yet it was the best among the ten, including pricey brands. You're right, though. If I get bored, I'll try another. Change is good.