November 22, 2012

Giving thanks

As longtime readers know, I'm not keen on holidays. Thanksgiving might seem inoffensive to non-vegetarians but it's not so pretty if you don't eat meat. I know you meat-eating folks don't want to hear this, but the traditional dinner table is pretty creepy.

On the other hand, the idea of giving thanks is a good one. Foolish religious folk might ask who an atheist gives thanks to -- but that's just nonsense. You simply give thanks, to the universe, to fate, to reality. You're thankful for what you have. Works just fine without god.

Maybe some depressed folks don't think there's anything to be thankful for. But there is. If you're reading this, be thankful that you have a brain, and vision, and computer (or phone) access to the internet. And if you're reading this, you're probably located in a peaceful area where you don't have to worry about American drones hitting your house.

I'm thankful Romney wasn't elected, though I won't go so far as to say I'm thankful that Obama is president. We could do a lot better than that.

I'm thankful for my friends and family, and the great animals in my yard. I'm thankful that everyone around me lets me live like a hermit -- and doesn't hold it against me. Thanks, guys! I'm also thankful that Xmas Carol is finally finished. It's out there, where anyone can buy it. In fact, I got my first royalties check yesterday. It's a pauper amount, but hey -- someone bought and read my book. I give thanks for this.

So try to ignore your wingnut relatives today. And be thankful for what you have. Works for me. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 comments:

cm said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

cm said...

Happy Thanksgiving