November 21, 2011

Writers need privacy

Perfect mug from zazzle.com
People don't understand that writers do something. There is this inane impression that since a writer is home, he's available for visits and chats. It doesn't work that way, kiddies. The books don't just materialize out of thin air.

People regularly intrude on my writing time. They just don't get it. Writers need to be alone. That's how it happens, this writing thing. You have to apply yourself and this requires a block of time when you will not be disturbed. You see, we're actually doing something when we write. And shockingly, this is true even though we're at home. Amazing concept, huh?

I guess some people do nothing when they're home so they figure if you're home, you're just sitting in a chair, staring at the ceiling. Sigh. I have to be very clear with friends and family about my need for privacy. The message is "Do not intrude in the afternoon because that is when I write."

I send people away if they knock on my door in the afternoon. And I'm not nice about it. I say, "I'm writing; I've already told you I write at this hour; you're intruding," and I close the door. But even though I'm direct with people, I find the information doesn't stick. They come back again and again at the same time -- my writing time. They just don't get writing. It's real folks. If you know a writer, try to remember this.

Okay, back to the salt mines. Xmas Carol, she is almost done!

1 comment:

Anna Guess Pick said...

Precisely why I try not to bug you all the time, I do know you are working. Perhaps you could take that mug and put it on a stick outside your door or hang up a sign "BEWARE OF WRITER WORKING"