May 28, 2015

Have you heard of this?

I went to see my doctor yesterday because I had an earache. It began months ago as an itch deep, deep, deep in my ear -- so deep that it couldn't be scratched. Drove me crazy. But recently the itch turned to pain, and then it spread to my jaw and upward to my temple area. I just figured I had an ear infection. Get some antibiotics and I'd be fine. But when I got to the doc's office, it was like a visit to medical Bizzarro World.

First the assistant met with me. When I told her my symptoms, she said I probably had an allergic earache. She said everyone was coming in with this problem. Allergic earache? Who's ever heard of such a thing?

When I saw the doctor, he agreed with the assistant and said every other patient was arriving at his office with one of these allergic earaches. He added that at the moment, he was suffering from it, too. I thought this was incredibly odd. In all my many years, I've never heard of this problem.

The worst part is that the cure involves taking my least favorite drug: prednisone. If you've taken it, you know why I hate it. Gonna be a whole lotta shakin' goin' on. It makes you so jittery.

Anyone out there ever heard of allergic earaches? Have you had one? Sheesh.

2 comments:

cm said...

I had something called TMJ with similar symptoms. Head and jaw ache. I'm sure s doctor would know better but look it up anyway.

writenow said...

I've know people who had TMJ. It's from grinding your teeth, as I understand it. Hi cm!