March 3, 2014

Echoing Lily

Lily Tomlin famously wondered what it means to be successful in a mediocre world. I think about that all the time because I wonder what it means to blog in a senseless world.

The news beats me down on a daily basis. It's one awful thing after another. I've begun to think we need a new word for news: spews. The spews media. Sounds right, no?

When I think of blogging about stuff in the daily spews, I bump into the next problem: how to pick one thing out of this maelstrom of trash so I can blog about it. I mean, that only makes sense when society is acting rationally and a rarely seen problem pops up. "Oh, hey, I'll blog about that." But when it's all trash and none of it makes sense, really, what point is there in blogging about it? Even if you manage to change a few minds, everything else is still in the toilet. It's a Sisyphus kind of thing.

That's why I'm glad to be writing again. The book is coming along nicely. Hoo, hoo, I'm back in the saddle again! Thank dog I have this private refuge. It's an island of sanity in a world of spews.

6 comments:

cm said...

And I enjoy visiting your island. It's my daily escape.

writenow said...

Thanks, Annie. Having you around always helps.

writenow said...

Oh, dear. You're not Annie. You're Carmine. Well, I feel the same about you. Thanks, Carmine. (It's that thing where Blogger always tells me the comment is from Artichoke Annie. I just saw the little "cm" there. Sheesh.)

Anna Guess Pick said...

Funny, had me wondering where I had been last night. You never know. Hi Carmine, hi Keith.

(Hi Annie) chuckles........

writenow said...

I'm afraid I'll have to see some identification before I believe that you're the real Artichoke Annie. There's lots of 'em around these days, you know.

cm said...

I guess if I had my picture in my avatar I'd be easily recognized, but you know me, I like to fly below the radar.
Hey Annie.